Hi everyone. I’ve been asked this a few times and more often then, I generally tell my new clients that I use a CMS for their web sites before they even ask this question. Almost all of the sites I host, design, develop and/or setup I use Joomla! as the CMS for their sites. Joomla! is usually number 1 or 2 of the top open source content management systems that are available.
- Open Source: This means it is freely available to use.
- Ease of Use: Joomla! is a very easy framework to use.
- Templates: there are many available (free and commercial) templates with themes for almost every type of organization, company or personal need.
- Extensions: available extensions (or applications) are readily available for Joomla! as well as for WordPress & Drupal. What I’m referring to here are things on a web site that are more then just a page to look at. Examples are calendar, contact form, message board, event sign up, shopping cart, photo gallery, news flash slider, social networking, memberships, and many, many, more.
- Common Platform: Joomla!, as well as most CMS’s will allow the use of a WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get) editor for most of the content. This allows non-web programmers to add, change or update their own content. Some of my clients love this and find it is very enabling to have this choice. After 1-2 hours of teaching from me, my clients are able to manage their own web site content.
- Widespread Knowledge & Support: There are quite a few web developers who use and are familiar with Joomla! It is also supported by many program developers to keep the extensions updated on a regular basis. This means that in the event I am not able to take care of my client’s web site, another web person should be able take over for me. This provides longevity for the investment my clients have made.
- Professional: These sites look and are professional. There is not doubt about it!
- Search Engine Friendly: If a Joomla! web site is done correctly, it should be search engine friendly. This is very important if a client wants to be found on Google, Yahoo, Bing or other search engines!
- MTV Networks Quizilla (Social networking) – http://www.quizilla.com
- IHOP (Restaurant chain) – http://www.ihop.com
- Harvard University (Educational) – http://gsas.harvard.edu
- Citibank (Financial institution intranet) – Not publicly accessible
- The Green Maven (Eco-resources) – http://www.greenmaven.com
- Outdoor Photographer (Magazine) – http://www.outdoorphotographer.com
- PlayShakespeare.com (Cultural) – http://www.playshakespeare.com
- Senso Interiors (Furniture design) – http://www.sensointeriors.co.za
FYI. I’m using both Joomla and WordPress for this web site. Why? Because I have things I like best about both CMSs. But, the main reason is … because I can!